I have written a blog and posted a YouTube Video on Natural Hair Porosity, including how to do the natural hair porosity test What is Natural Hair Porosity?
Click to watch: Natural Hair Porosity Tips
High Porosity Tips:
- Tip 1: Deep Condition: Its important to deep condition to get that extra moisture into your hair. When rinsing your hair use cool water to close the hair cuticle. Also use think, heavy deep conditioners, they work best on high porosity hair.
- Tip 2: Avoid Heat: Heat keeps the hair cuticle open, drying your hair and causing frizz.
- Tip 3: Detangling: Be gentle, you are detangling your hair when it is wet, and wet hair equals an open hair cuticle. An open hair cuticle can cause your hair to break, so be gentle. While detangling also use think, creamy conditioners.
- Tip 4: Protein Treatments: High Porosity hair needs more protein because it looses its protein through the open hair cuticles. Apply a protein treatment every 6-8 weeks. You can use any protein treatment of your choice. Examples: Palmers Protein Treatment Packs and Aphogee Protein Treatments.
- Tip 5: Products: Use thick, creamy products they work best. Light weight products escape through the hair cuticle faster. Products such as ‘butters’ ‘puddings’ and ‘creams’. Also use heavy oils such as coconut oil, avocado oil and olive oil.
Low Porosity Hair Tips:
- Tip 1: Clarifying your hair: Product build up can prevent low porosity hair from absorbing moisture. Use a clarifying shampoo to remove product build up. You can also use Bentonite Clay, it is a great clarifier and leaves hair soft and manageable. After clarifying your hair, rinse with warm water to open up the hair cuticle to help your hair absorb moisture. And follow up with a protein free conditioner.
- Tip 2: Deep Conditioning: It is important for low porosity hair to add that extra moisture that low porosity hair needs. Always apply hair products to clean hair.
- Tip 3: Add heat to your deep conditioner, added heat will help the deep conditioner penetrate into the hair cuticle.
- Tip 4: : Use water based products, that contain little to no protein. Less protein is best for low porosity hair.
- Tip 5: Products to Avoid: Silicones, Protein filled conditioner, Heavy oils and Co-Washing
If you not sure what type of hair porosity you have, do the test.