Porosity simply refers to your hairs ability to absorb and retain moisture.
There are three types of porosity:
- Low Porosity
- Normal Porosity
- High Porosity.
Click to watch: What is Natural Hair Porosity?
Characterists of Low Porosity Hair.
- Curls take long to dry.
- Products build up on your hair instead of absorbing it.
- Natural oils tend to sit on your hair instead of absorbing into your hair.
- When washing your hair, water tends to sit on your hair instead of absorbing into your hair.
Characterists of Normal Porosity Hair.
- You have bouncy curls.
- Your hair is little or low maintenance.
- Your hair easily absorbs moisture.
- Your hair holds a style well.
Characterists of High Porosity Hair.
- Curls absorb water easily.
- Your hair requires more product.
- Curls often look and feel dry.
- Curls are often frizzy.
- Curls dry quickly.
- If your hair floats on the top you have low porosity hair.
- If your hair drops and floats in the middle you have normal porosity hair.
- If your hair sinks to the bottom you have high porosity hair.